Entry Fee Inclusions
Your Six Day Epic entry fee includes the following services;
- Race Entry to the six day mountain bike stage race
- Four nights tent accommodation in the Pioneer Race Village (26,27,28,29 November). One two-man tent per rider is provided to allow for gear bag and mattress. Tented accommodation includes set-up and pack-down of tent each day.
- Some meals, including breakfast and dinner in The Pioneer Race Village
- The Pioneer Race Village amenities including showers, toilets and social lounge
- Timing, prize money and prizes
- Daily Awards at the end of each stage
- On course nutrition including a recovery pack at the end of each stage
- Daily check points on course to track all riders
- Transport of The Pioneer Gear bag between host towns
- Race medical services on course and free on-site basic treatment in the Race Village
- Basic mechanical services on course and in the Race Village. Additional costs may be charged depending on what is required
- Daily results service
- Bike wash and security in each Pioneer Race Village
- The Pioneer Gear bag
- The Pioneer Day bag
- The Pioneer Drink bottles x 2
- The Pioneer finisher t-shirt (must finish event)
- The Pioneer Finisher’s medal (must finish event)
- Photography service (competitor photographs can be purchased after the event)
What your 6 Day Epic entry fee does not include:
- Accommodation in Queenstown on Saturday November 24 (Athlete Check-In) and Sunday 25 November (Prologue/Stage 1)
- Meals while in Queenstown
- Lunches while in Pioneer race villages
- Sleeping mattress and sleeping bag - please bring your own.
Entries open at 11:00am NZT Friday 24 November 2017.
Entries close Midnight Sunday 11 November 2018 unless sold out prior.
All entry fees are per person.
The entry price will increase once the number of available entries in that category have sold out, or by the stated closing date - whichever comes first.
|6 DAY EPIC||AVAILABLE ENTRIES||CLOSING DATE||ENTRY FEE*|
|SUPER EARLY||First 50 teams||25 March 2018||$2500 NZD|
|EARLY||100 teams||25 July 2018||$2800 NZD|
|GENERAL||100 teams||25 September 2018||$3100 NZD|
|LATE||Unlimited||11 November 2018||$3400 NZD|
*Excludes 3% Active Fee.
We understand that making the commitment to enter The Pioneer is a big investment, so we would like to offer the following payment option that eliminates having to front up with the total entry fee, all in one go! The installment payment option is as follows:
- Part payment is available for a finite period, opening 24 November 2017 and closing 25 March 2018.
- $1000 NZD deposit required upon registration. Remaining balance will be automatically deducted from your credit card in three equal amounts on 30th April 2018, 30th May 2018, 30th June 2018
Conditions of Participation
The Pioneer Mountain Bike Stage race is open to aspiring amateur and professional mountain bikers from around the world. Entrants must be 18 years of age as at Day 1 of the race. The race features challenging distances and terrain including lots of climbing. It is the rider’s responsibility to arrive at the event with the necessary fitness and stamina level to participate.
All riders are required to sign a waiver form when entering.
The mandatory gear list contains what we believe is the absolute minimum to keep you safe in the alpine environment. The weather is very unpredictable in the high country, a front can blow in and out of the mountains very quickly.
Unlike some other global mountain bike stage races, this is a remote back country event where protection from the elements and medical/support services could be some time/distance from athletes needing assistance. It is therefore imperative that the mandatory gear is carried at all times. A Gear check will be carried out initially at Athlete Check-In on both your mandatory basic gear and your mandatory emergency gear. Random checks will be made at the start chute each morning and at any time during the race.
Should you need to purchase gear in Queenstown on arrival, click here to find a list of stores you could visit.
Mandatory Basic Gear
Must be carried on every stage, and is subject to change up until race day:
- A Helmet
- Warm hat (preferably merino and not a buff)
- Windproof jacket
- Tool kit – 1 per team
- Must contain two spare tubes (if using tubeless ensure sealant is refreshed every 2 months and carry at least 1 tube as an emergency back-up), a bike pump, a multi-tool, tyre levers, patch kit and a chain breaker (that you know how to use). A speed link/spare chain link is also useful
- First Aid kit – 1 per team
- Including bandages, plasters, tape, gauze, whistle and two survival blankets. We also recommend carrying pain relief medication (e.g. Panadol) for headaches, sunscreen and electrolyte replacement powder (e.g. Gastrolyte) for cramps, along with other medications you might need (e.g. prescription or hay fever medication).
Mandatory Emergency Gear
The Emergency Gear will only be used if advised by Race Organisers at the Race Briefing the night before. This will be in cases of impending weather or climate changes.
- Spare Base Torso layer
- Warm tights - we recommend merino wool or polypropylene tights
- Full fingered gloves
- Waterproof jacket - with tape sealed seams. This has now been updated to include a hood and sleeves. While the hood and sleeves are not compulsory, we strongly recommend it.
Online entries close on 11 November 2018, unless sold out prior.
Registration requires one team member to register as the team captain, and the other team member to then join a team.
Step One: Team Captain Registration. When registering as team captain, you will be required to create a team name and password. Once you have successfully entered as team captain, please inform your team mate of the team name and password.
Step Two: Team Member Registration. When the second rider registers, they are required to register as a team member. As part of their registration process, they will be asked to join a team, and here they will need to search for your team by name, then enter the password.
The Team Member must register within 10 days of the Team Captain entering. Once both successfully entered, you will be registered as a team within the registration system.
If a registered team wishes to cancel their participation in the event for whatever the reason, the team must notify IRONMAN Oceania in writing via email@example.com, providing his/her name, team name and contact details.
Cancellation requests received up until midnight, 31 July 2018 will receive 50% refund of their entry fee. Entry refunds requested from 1st August until 14th October 2018 will receive 25% of their entry fee. Entry fees are non-refundable from 15 of October, 2018.
In the event of any 'Act of God' causing a cancellation of the event, or personal circumstances preventing me from participating, my total entry fee is non-refundable.
A rider change can be made up until midnight Sunday 11 November 2018. A $250 Rider transfer fee will be charged to the withdrawing rider. The receiving rider will need to pay for the entry fee in order for the transfer to process, then the original rider will be refunded their entry fee less the $250 transfer fee per rider.
To carry out the process the current rider needs to:
- Go to myevents.active.com and log in to their active.com account
- Find the registration they wish to transfer and click the link ‘Transfer the registration to another rider’
- Follow the necessary steps
- A $250 transfer fee will be charged to the withdrawing 7 Day Epic rider.
- Please note: the receiving rider will need to pay for the entry fee in order for the transfer to process, then the original rider will be refunded their entry fee less the $250 transfer fee.
- Please note add-on packages/services purchased are neither transferable nor refundable.
FULL TEAM CHANGES
A full team change can be made up until midnight Sunday 11 November, 2018. If an unregistered team wishes to take over the entry of a registered team, a double rider change can be performed in the online profile. The above costs and dates are applicable.
The Pioneer has five different race categories:
- Men: Both riders are male.
- Women: Both riders are female.
- Mixed: One rider is male and one rider is female.
- Masters: Both riders are 40 years or older on 31 December of the year of the race.
- Grand Masters: Both riders are 50 years or older on 31 December of the year of the race.
Daily Awards: a daily awards ceremony is held at the end of each day in the Race Village. This will include the awarding of the ‘leaders jersey’ in each age category with the fastest cumulative time for both team members after each day. In addition to this, prizes will be awarded for daily stage winners in each category.
The Final Prize giving will be held in Queenstown, prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each age category and the below prize money will be awarded to the overall winners.
Overall Men's Winning Team
|Overall Women's Winning Team||NZD $5,000|
The overall winners in each age group category will be the team with the fastest cumulative time for both team members over the 6 days of racing.